There are many, many things that make me want to tear my hair out and gnash my teeth and put on a hair shirt when we’re talking mothering. Isaac stops mid-dinner most nights and announces that he needs to poop and that he would like someone to come watch him please. Matthew spills yogurt drink on his cloth dining room chair pretty much every day. But the two things that push me over the edge are 1) the constant “Mom? look at this”, “hey mom, look!”, “check this out, Mom” coming from the back seat while I try to drive. I must get asked to view something behind me about 18 times for every mile I drive. And I calmly say, “you know I cannot turn around while I drive. My job is to keep you safe.” every time. And bite my cheeks until they bleed. 2) I’m hungry.
Shall I elaborate? I put on a 25 minute TV show and start washing dishes, paying bills, relaxing, anything. Right when I get going, Isaac calls, “I’m hungry!”. I get him a snack and get back to business and Matthew mumbles, “I hungry too. Hungry.” This cycle continues forever. They each ate about 4 snacks during one TV show the other day. I think Isaac is growing. He ate 4 bananas before lunch the other day. So for their very safety, I made the snack drawer.
There is one in the refrigerator too with cheese sticks, yogurt, and homemade granola bars. The rule right now is get whatever you want, whenever you want. I don’t want or need to know about it. The trick is that I feel pretty darn good about 85% of the food in there. The other 15% I still feel good about, I just want them to have it in moderation. There is only one catch. No snacks when the pantry says “STOP”.
I switch it over when meal time is coming up or if I just think they are overeating or something. But if they see this, it’s a free for all:
There is only one change I think I will make. I’m going to take the snacks that I want them to eat only in moderation (gummies, yogurt raisins, and cookies) and put them in a special basket that means they can only have one thing from the basket every day. I’m trying to gauge what they are eating now and see if I need to. The first snacks they chose were an apple (Matthew) and pretzels (Isaac). If they start to abuse the sweets, I may move forward. We’ll see.
Already I am less hostile towards them, and in general. Leaving for church on Sunday, I just hollered, “everybody grab a snack”. And while they still ask if they can have a snack, no action is required on my part.
Glorious. Glorious, I tell you.
Now how can we make them leave me alone while I’m driving?